The weather was still hot and dry and I managed to declutter and organise the new small shed, the big shed and the greenhouse. It was too hot to be carrying things up and down the hill, but I finally made it. It took several days. I got my old electric tools (bought back in the 1980s but still working) and I cut up some wood from the old shed and screwed them into the shed. I was not sure if I could do it, but I did. I managed to get all the hooks in the right places to hold my tool. I was pleased when it was finished.
I felt good that everything was organised and had a place in both sheds and in the greenhouse. Phew it was hot work.
As the weather was still dry, I also managed to paint/stain the new shed the next day.
It looked good when it was finished. And just in time as the next day, it rained! In fact it rained for 2 days and now it is fine again. I was relieved not to be watering the garden. The rain has now worked its magic and my plants have finally started to shoot upwards.
I took advantage of today as the rain had stopped and decided to transplant one of my two butternut squash (Hercules variety). They were not growing quickly in the pots. I thought I would hedge my bets and transplant one, now that the shed was finished.
I dug a big hole as it was coming from a 30L pot.
I was surprised that the roots were very short, perhaps a 4 inch ball! No wonder it was not growing quickly. I had to fill in the hole and put the plant on top.
I made a hill of soil around the plant so that water would drain away from it. I watered it in and covered the ground. I need to get a cane and some water bottles but for now the mound is doing fine.
The other squash I left in the pot to see the difference.
My potatoes are all being harvested. I grew a few last year but my storage was not good enough and they all quickly sprouted. This year I am going on a potato fast and eating them from the ground. I love potatoes just steamed. Yum.
This is my first harvest of Red Scarlett from a pot.
This was smaller than I expected but not too bad. However, the yield from the ones I dug up from the ground was very small. The Red Scarlett was clean skinned. They taste quite good steamed.
I harvested some Vivaldi that were next to them. Although the yield was bigger, the skins were pitted. I also found out that they did not taste as good.
Do not think that I will be growing the Vivaldi again. I will have a go at baking them and see if they taste better. They are quite dense and floury and have earthy taste.